Menu
GCS
History

AboutHistoryWho's WhoMembershipRegions

The Association was formed in 1912 by a small band of Stewards. Founder members Messrs. G.H. Paine and E. Small met in 1911 to play a 36 hole contest over 18 holes at Mr Small's club at Clacton on Sea, followed by a further 18 holes at Mr Paine's club at Stanwell Park. They played for a £10 wager, a lot of money in those days. Mr Paine won 7&6 at Clacton on Sea and 6&4 at Stanwell Park.

They met again with other stewards on several occasions and decided that efforts should be made to form an Association.

The first meeting was held on November 7th 1912. The venue Messrs. Sellers Limited, West Street, Finsbury. The next meeting was on November 21st with a much bigger Steward representation, 60 Stewards attended mainly from London clubs. Mr G.H. Paine formally proposed that the Golf Club Stewards' Association be formed, seconded by Mr S.G. Odhams and carried unanimously.