Welcome to Withington Golf Club
Withington Golf Club was instituted in December 1892, following a meeting at Withington town hall. Play began in 1893 over 9 holes, on the land which today is occupied by the 10th to 14th and the 17th and 18th holes - land previously used for grazing sheep and cattle.
The first clubhouse was a wooden pavilion costing £25,but by 1895, members used a semi-detached house on Palatine Road. By 1897 the club had acquired more land and the course was extended to 18 holes, and in 1898, a newly-built clubhouse was opened, its location being by the practice green near the present 15th hole.
The construction of the M63 (now M60) in the early 1970s necessitated the re-designing of the course and relocation of the clubhouse to its present position. In 1992, our Centenary year, the clubhouse was extended, and ten years later the locker rooms were completely refurbished. Other recent improvements have been the reconstruction of many greens and tees, the planting of hundreds of trees, the installation of an extensive drainage network and, in 2005, a new irrigation system.
Withington has always been one of the foremost golf clubs in the area. Over the years, it has hosted many prestigious competitions and matches at professional and amateur level, together with Manchester Alliance, exhibition, Pro-Am and charity events. Currently the Tamsel Tour holds a two day professional competition at Withington in the Spring. Open Champions who have played here include Henry Cotton, Bobby Locke, Harold Hilton, Alex Herd, George Duncan, Alf Perry, Alf Padgham, RA Whitcombe and Richard Burton.