Shrewsbury Golf Club
Condover
Shropshire
SY5 7BL

 

Tel: 01743 872977
Fax: 01743 872977
Email: The Secretary

 
 
 

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS PAGE BY VISITING OUR SPONSORS
 
 
 

Shrewsbury Golf Club was formally instituted on March 9th 1891 at Hencote, off the Ellesmere Road to the north west of the town centre. The 12 hole course was described very succinctly by a member as "very short, very rough, very wet and very dirty". The situation for the reasons mentioned, remained unsatisfactory and in March 1892, exactly a year after incorporation, the club secured new playing grounds near Meole Village, some one and a half miles to the south of the town centre where a new 9 hole course was laid.

In 1920 the members manage to secure the land on which they had been playing since 1892 plus four neighbouring fields, a grand total of some 80.5 acres, to form a new course of 18 holes which was opened for play in 1922.

w  
 
 


PLEASE SUPPORT THIS PAGE BY VISITING OUR SPONSORS

 
 
 

However, in 1968 after almost 80 years play at Meole Brace, proposals to build a new traffic island at the A5/A49 junction, and a new "link" road to the Column, were approved, which meant the proposed route would cut right through the middle of the course making the layout of the course, already somewhat cramped, quite impossible.

Negotiations were then opened with the local Council with a view to selling the course in its entirety and starting afresh on a new site.

Grange Farm on the edge of the village of Condover, some 4 miles south of Shrewsbury, became available in March 1969 and construction of the new course at Condover began on June 1st 1970. The new course was opened for play on October 10th, 1971.

Despite the vagaries of weather, tree planting programmes have produced a steady growth of a variety of species to complement the existing mature oaks and beeches and this is slowly but surely changing the whole character of the course. With spectacular views over the Stretton Hills to the South, the Shropshire Plain to the North and additional water features lurking on four holes, mainly near the green and the greens the equal of most parkland course, this course more than satisfies the players demanding a challenging test of golf coupled with top quality clubhouse facilities.

w
 
 
 

© club-noticeboard.co.uk 2006