Menu

The Club - Our History

 

In 1909, a group of local residents met at a house in The Avenue, Hatch End, Pinner, Middlesex. The meeting, chaired by William Moore, resolved to form a golf club for the benefit of local residents. It was felt the land they could acquire was well suited for golf because of its rolling nature and quality of turf which had lain undisturbed for generations. The club took its name from the English Heritage site, the Grim’s Dyke, of Anglo Saxon origin.

The grand opening of the new 9 hole course took place on18th June 1910 by Sir William S Gilbert, of Gilbert and Sullivan fame. Sir William’s country house and estate occupied land adjacent to the new course (now Grim’s Dyke hotel) and he became our first President.

In February 1921, plans were drawn up for extending the course to 18 holes, designed by 5 times Open Champion, James Braid, one of the era’s greatest and most prolific designers.

The present club house was built in 1936, and opened by the Marchioness of Carisbrooke. The club house has been modernised and extended since then, but retains the attractive features of a 1930’s building. In 2012, a superb new men’s changing room and shower facilities was built and opened by the Mayor of Harrow.

In 1958, two former Captains, Dr. Mungo Park and his Brother, Dr Jack Park, presented the clubs used by their grandfather, Willie Park, 4 times Open Champion between 1860 and 1875. Replicas of these clubs are displayed in the entrance hall of the clubhouse, the originals unfortunately having been sold to assist in the funding of the new changing room facilities. Willie’s brother, Mungo Park, won the Open Championship in 1874 and his medal from that occasion was also presented to the club. His putter was presented to be played for by Past Captains in a team match against local clubs. Grim’s Dyke is the 2013 holder of this splendid trophy.

We are proud of our long and rich history, and look forward to continuing to offer challenging golf to members and visitors alike.